Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My tryst with Milwaukee: A cheesy love affair!

Dear Chicago,

I have been cheating on you. It started unexpectedly with a one-night stand. But then, it kept calling me and I was drawn by its quaint charm. It doesn't mean I love you any less, but I am slowly falling for this city, Milwaukee.

I was in denial for a while. Especially because Milwaukee is unlike any other place I have called home. It's not a big city like you or a jungle like Ithaca. It's not all hustle-bustle like NYC or chic and political like DC. And yet, I have found unusual comfort here.

I visited you last weekend. I thought I was home. And I was. But a little part of me longed for the quiet of my lab and my annoyingly slow internet. I wondered what junk food dinner entree I was trading in for this lovely deep-dish. While the whole experience was exactly what I needed to exhilarate myself, it felt less than homely. I felt an unrelenting pull towards Milwaukee.



Perhaps it is the familiar lake front. Or the frozen custard at Leon's and cheap (yet amazing) beer at Hollander. Maybe it is the lack of traffic on I-94 and the ridiculously low sales tax. Or it could be the scenic drive next to Miller Park. Possibly, it is the creepy Russians at New Yorker. Or my recent obsession with home-brewing. But most of all, I am intrigued by the unpredictability of this state I once stereotyped. Did you know rednecks existed in the North? (Apparently, they live in the nooks of northern Wisconsin.) Or that the Walgreens I shop at is the oldest in the world?

I didn't realize how far this fling had come along. I was referred to as the "official Milwaukee google" by a friend yesterday. I don't think I'm google-worthy yet. However, this relationship definitely escalated beyond my expectations. My summer plans include Summerfest, Jazzfest and trips to Door county and Devil's lake. I convinced my buddy to have a meal of cheese curds and spotted cow. I bought an $11 block of chocolate fudge cheese just because I wanted to.

A few months ago, I wrote about some of the most influential songs in my life (Musical Reality). I credited Milwaukee for Home by Philip Phillips. I am intimate with the unfamiliar road. I hate this city usually. But sometimes I have bouts of love. It is rather unceremonious. But isn't that the epitome of a relationship after all?

Chicago, I am not breaking up with you. But let's just say we're on a break. You are my soulmate, yes. But Milwaukee is the hot guy that I want to seduce right now.

Love,
YP


No comments:

Post a Comment