Saturday, April 16, 2011

Eternal moment

Consider time as a complex element. Now re-consider it as a mathematically complex element (a+bi) with a real term and an imaginary term.

If you are like me, you are probably thinking, WTF?!! How can time be defined on the imaginary axis? Of all the parameters we investigate, time is the only parameter that should be both real and irreversible. However, a recent seminar (http://prezi.com/s-ezktsfry-w/wanted-nails-to-be-hit-with-numerical-ode-hammers/) I attended presented time as a particularly complex phenomenon.

Now switch modes from your objective, scientific mindset to perhaps a more subjective, artistic one. And re-evaluate the concept of time. Perhaps, think about the real component as time in which we live and imaginary term as time in which we think. It adds value to the mathematical point of view that begs one to think about time that way.

Needless to say, I wandered off on a tangent as I began thinking about how this concept falls into place in our lives. I immediately referred to my good friend, wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time) and was amazed at the analysis of time in terms of biopsychology, time travel, big bang theory and core philosophy.

Ironically, by the time I returned to reality, the talk had reached conclusion. Time went by incredibly fast. The discrepancy between real time and imaginary time was finally apparent. I thought about the last 24 years. It seemed like they went by so fast. Then I thought about every time I had to present or perform a dance and each moment leading up to it seemed like eternity.

Even in our neuromotor control discussions, we are repeatedly faced with how we learn time-dependent tasks. Most of the studies have concluded that we in-fact don't learn in time-dependent coordinates, but instead in velocity, proprioceptive or visual coordinates. So, there is obviously an inconsistency of time in our perception, but it isn't obvious whether the real time is consistent either.

So what is consistent? What is real? This is clearly an open question and I am not sure anyone really has an answer, but we can definitely admit-- Time is a complex element!


"Time is making fools of us again." -J.K. Rowling



2 comments:

  1. how do you come up with such randomly cool thoughts..Yagna Pathak, you are something else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. it's nice to know you think they're "cool" thoughts. I just thought they were nerdy. Also, because I'm very easily distracted by someone else's cool thought, I guess I just expand on it and add a bit of perspective!! ;)

    ReplyDelete