Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dear Mom,

I really don't know where to begin. It's not Mother's day or your birthday (which conveniently falls within the same week) so why bother writing a whole post on you when I generally talk about science, politics and my philosophies? You're neither a scientist, nor a politician and definitely not one to side with my philosophies. But despite that, you're great.

I may not be a reflection of you, but you are my creator. I may not agree with your arguments, but I have your wisdom. I may not be as elegant as you, but I have your grace. And I may not be as successful as you are, but I have your motivation. Some people may look at you and wonder about the success I am pointing to. However, you are the strongest woman I know. You have noble thoughts. Your writings are eloquent with a focus to uplift society. Your stories inspire me to take on the world! Of course, I have a bias. But you have made a world from nothing, twice. You bore the pain of bringing life into that world, twice. And you made engineers of them, twice. So naturally, your success doubles on all counts.

I won't say that I'm always fond of you. Sometimes, I just want to break something. Sometimes, I just want to storm out of the house. Most of the times, I believe that you don't understand. But you do! You know when I'm upset. You know when I am giddy with joy. And you even know when I don't want to be bothered. For each of these times, you play the mother so well. Whether its with your food, your constant nagging or your sharp stares directed to my outfits, it helps keep me in line with my life. Being the stubborn child that I am, even you can't stop me from making my mistakes, but you sure do try!

I am not trying to promise a change or a transformation via this post. I am merely saying, thank you. Thank you for being my mom. Thank you for teaching me to fight tirelessly. Thank you for imparting a passion for food to me. Thank you for showing me the importance of standing by one's principles. But most of all, Thank you for enduring plenty of sacrifices along the way to pave the road for my success.

Perhaps in the three years that I stayed away, I missed out on some bonding. Or maybe in those days I realized how much I needed you. But with my close friends bringing new lives into this world, I am wondering whether I too can cut this umbilical cord and break free into the real world. Well, I cannot. I don't want to grow up just yet. I need you to be my savior. I need you to be my teacher. I need you to be my mother. Yes, I am still a child at heart. I am still afraid of the dark. I will still cry at failure. And I still need you to oil my hair, gently with your fingers, so that all the love and faith transfers over, rejuvenating me.

Mom, I know it's not your birthday or mother's day! And no I don't need anything(right now). But I still love you! :)


ps: Dad, I love you too! But that's for another day ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment