Saturday, May 1, 2010

Yin and Yang

My grandfather is a very artistic man. His memory has failed him in the last three years and so I thank him for distributing his wisdom early. His thoughts and stories have been presented to this world with a twist and a modern perspective through his grandchildren as they continue to get inspired by his words.

I have been having recurring thoughts about my Dada. I think telepathic communication is not a myth. People do connect with other people. Dreams and prayers are the cable that connect our thoughts with the ones we love without having to explicitly say them. Having said that, I would like to devote the rest of this entry to my favorite memory of my Dada.

As a child, he used to repeat a Sanskrit poem and explain each line with extreme elegance. Perhaps back then, I just enjoyed the idea that the Gods we prayed to were just like our parents. It was his innocent way of convincing us that the way you demand from your parents can be replicated when asking God for favors.

I see this poem in a new light now. I am a woman. I take on the role of Parvati. The poem highlights a battle of words between Parvati and Lord Shiva. Perhaps I should not disclose the end until you read it, but I will note that my grandfather had recognized the wits of my grandmother for him to believe so strongly in this poem.

The poem starts with a common scenario. Lord Shiva lost track of time while meditating. On his late arrival, Parvati refused to let him in the house. (Of course, today this problem is solved by multiple copies of the key). The man still has to answer to his better half and even Lord Shiva may not be able to help him in a battle of words.

The first meaning of Lord Shiva's line is what he implied. The second meaning is what Parvati interpreted. Yes, sometimes we know what you mean and we still like to mess with you because we can! Enjoy!

Parvati: Kastvam?
Who are you?

Lord Shiva: Shuuli,
1. The one with the trident
2. sick
Parvati: Mrugaya Bhishajam!
Go Find Medicine!

Lord Shiva: Neela KantaH Priye aham,
1. The one with the blue neck, O'beloved!
2. Peacock
Parvati: Kekaam yekaam kuru!
Prove it with your loud crowing voice!

Lord Shiva: PasupatiH,
1. The lord of all four legged creatures
2. Bull
Parvati: Naiva drushtey vishaaney!
I cannot see your horns, though!

Lord Shiva: Sthaanuur Mughdhey,
1. The immovable
2. Tree
Parvati: Na vadati taruH!
Trees cannot speak!

Lord Shiva: Jeeviteysa ShivaayaaH
1. I am Parvati's Life Partner
2. Shiva = Jackal
Parvati: Gachha atavyaam!
Go run to the forest then!

iti Hatha VachaH paatu va Chandra ChuudaH.
Thus, the Lord who bears the crescent shaped moon on his head lost the battle of words, but may you still protect me!
Unfortunately for Lord Shiva, none of the sweet talking he introduced into the battle worked. Women are very focused on winning and being swayed by romance is a distraction so we don't pay attention to it. The moral of the story? Men, don't try to win arguments. You never will. Even the invincible and divine have figured this out!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha...Nice!
    Your grandfather is definitely an intelligent man, to have accepted the truth. lol
    ~Cyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great translation, Yag! My parents wrote this poem down for me last time they came to visit LA. I guess you had just spoken to my mom about it and she told me the whole story.

    I miss dada too :( Let's plan a family trip to visit him sometime. That would be so fun, like 1995 all over again!

    ReplyDelete